□ Name ASANO Toshiyuki
□ Present Status Professor, Dept. of Ocean Civil
Engineering, Kagoshima University
□ Present Address : 1-21-40, Korimoto,
Kagoshima, 890-0065, Japan
□ Telephone &
□ Date of birth 14 February 1953
□ Education :
- 1971-1975 Dept. of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kyoto
Awarded the Bachelor degree in Engineering, Kyoto Univ.
- 1975-1977 Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University
Master Degree, Kyoto University
- 1986.9 Awarded of Doctor of Philosophy from Kyoto University.
title is "Hydrodynamics of Wave-Current Co-existing Systems"
- 1977.4 - 1989.12 Research Associate, Department of Civil Engineering,
- 1988.3 - 1989.2 Visiting Scientist, Institute of Hydrodynamics and
Technical University of Denmark
- 1990.1 - 2001.3 Associate Professor, Dept. of Ocean Civil Engineering,
- 2001.4 - present Professor, Dept. of Ocean Civil Engineering, Kagoshima
□ Activity in Scientific Committee
- 1985 - present Research Fellow in Disaster Prevention Research Association
- 1993 -1994 Committee member of Global Environment Problem in Japanese
Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE)
- 1997 - 2003 Member of Editorial Board for Journal of Coastal Engineering
- 2000 - 2004 Member of Medium- and Long-Range Vision for Protection of
Coastal Zone, JSCE
- 2000 - 2004 Member of International Network Working Group, JSCE
- 2002 - present Editorial Member of Ocean Development Journal, JSCE
- 2002 Member of Organizing Committee of ISOPE-2002
- 2003 Member of Technical Committee of APAC-2003
□ Member of Academic Societies :
- Japanese Society of Civil Engineers
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Japanese Society of Natural Disasters
- Japanese Society of Remote Sensing
- Japanese Society of Oceanography
List of Publications (only papers in English)
- Asano T. : Design Manual for Coastal Facilities 2000, Currents in the sea,
Chpt. 2.07.1-4 and Sediment Transport, Chpt. 2.14.1(1)-(6), Pub. by Japan
Society of Civil Engineers, pp.80-88 and pp.134-144, 577p., 2005.
- Asano T. : Sediment transport in oscillatory sheet flow, Advanced in
Coastal and Ocean Engineering, Vol.6, Editor-in-Chief by P.L.F. Liu, World
Scientific Publishing Co., pp.133-183, 1999.
□ Journal papers
(only papers in English)
- Iwagaki Y. and Asano T.: Water particle velocity in wave-current system,
Coastal Engineering in Japan, pp.1-14, 1980.
- Asano T. and Y. Iwagaki : Non-linear effects on velocity fields in
turbulent wave boundary layer: Coastal Engineering in Japan, Vol.29, pp.51-63,
- Asano T., H. Godo and Y. Iwagaki: Application of low-Reynolds number
turbulence model to oscillatory bottom boundary layers, Coastal Engineering in
Japan, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 1-9, 1988.
- Kobayashi, N., A. W. Raichle and T. Asano : Wave attenuation by
vegetation, Journal of Waterways, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, ASCE,
Vol.119, pp.30-48, 1993.
- Asano T., H. Suetomi and J. Hoshikura: Measurements of current velocity
generated in swash zone by obliquely incident waves, Coastal Engrg. in Japan,
Vol.37, No.2, pp.125-136, 1994.
- Asano T.: Sediment transport under sheet-flow conditions、Journal of
Waterways, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, ASCE, Vol.121, No. 5, pp.1-8,
- Bakhatiary A. Y. and T. Asano: Effects of particle properties on
oscillatory sheet-flow dynamics, Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol. 40, No. 1,
- Saad S. , M. Lokman Husain, N. A. M. Shazili and T. Asano : Sediment
accretion and variability of sedimentological characteristics of a tropical
estuarine mangrove: Kemaman, Terengganu, Malaysia, J. of Mangrove and Salt
Marshes, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp.51-58, 1999.
- Saad S., M. Lokman Husain, T. Asano : Sediment accretion of tropical
estuarine mangrove, Tropics, Vol. 8, No.3, pp.257-266, 2000.
□ Conference papers
(in addition, 18 conference papers)
- T. Asano, R. Matsumoto and S. Kikuchi : Wave deformation in vegetation
fringed channels, Proc. 29 th Inter. Conf. Coastal Engrg., Vol.1, pp.218-229,
- J. Hasegawa, T. Asano, Y. Kawazoe and Y. Kishira : Relation between long
term beach deformation and sediment discharge from hinterland rivers in
Shibushi coast, Asian and Pacific Coasts 2005, pp., 2005.
- M. R. Akbarpour Jannat and T. Asano : An integrated prediction model of
wind waves and long period waves in surf and swash zones, Asian and Pacific
Coasts, 2005, pp., 2005.
- T. Asano, T. Komaguchi, J. Kohno and T. Sato: Monitoring on long and short
term beach deformations using remote sensed images, Proc. of 28th Inter. Conf.
of Coastal Engrg., ASCE, pp.1842-1854., 2003.
- Hoque, M. A. and T. Asano : Filtration effects on sediment transport in a
swash zone, Proc. of 28th International Conference of Coastal Engineering,
- Asano T., T. Komaguchi, J. Kohno and T. Sato : Monitoring on long and
short term beach deformations using remote sensed images, Proc. of 28th
International Conference of Coastal Engineering, (in Printing), 2002.
- Hoque M. A. and T. Asano : Bed load sediment movements in swash zone,
Proc. of International Society of Ocean Polar Engineering, pp.529-589 , 2002.
- Saad S., T. Asano and M. L. Husain : Tidal flow simulation in a mangrove
estuary comprised of branched creeks and vegetated flood plane, Proc. of Asia
Pacific region of Coastal Engineering, pp.956-964, 2001.
- Hoque M. A., Neshaei M. A. L. and Asano T. : Effects of reflective
structure on undertow distribution, Proc. of Waves '01, pp.1042-1051, 2001.
□ Interim Reports
( in addition, 3 English interim reports)
- N. Kobayashi, A.W. Raichle, T. Asano: Prediction of Wave Attenuation by
Vegetation and Seaweed, Res. Rep. of Center for Applied Coastal Research,
Univ. of Delaware, No.CACR-91-07, p.55, 1991.
- Asano T. : Hydrodynamics and sedimentation in mangrove estuaries, Proc.
9th JSPS Joint Seminar of Marine and Fishery Science, pp.7-15, 1999.
□ Main Research Subjects
(Under-Graduate) Hydrodynamics, Applied Mathematics
Earth Science, Monitoring of Global Enviroment,
(Master Students) Advanced Ocean Hydrodynamics
Students) Dynamics of Sediment Transport